"VIP took the guess work out of everything... Tammy under-promised and over-delivered, and always within the timeline she gave us."
Tips for Selling Your Home in Central Indiana
Tips for Selling Your Home in Central
Tips for Selling Your Home in Central Indiana: Lawn, Front
Door, Interior, Windows, Kitchen, Bathroom, Garage, Clean, Trim, Fix, Wash, Mow,
Paint, Repair, Remove, Open, Polish, Replace, Tidy Up, Organize
VIP Realty offers a compendium of tips and tricks to prepare your home for sale, and a few ideas for when you show it.
Tip #1: Start with your lawn
- Is the lawn trimmed and edged?
- Are the flower beds clear of leaves, weeds and grass?
- Do the flower beds have adequate flowers, bark or mulching?
- Are all outdoor fixtures in good condition:
- Gas grill
- Outdoor lights
- Basketball hoops, etc.?
- Are there any bare spots in the lawn, big holes, ruts, or
weeds that can be repaired?
- Does the lawn have a manicured look?
- If it is winter, be sure and remove the snow and ice from
the sidewalks and steps.
Tip #2: Next look at your front door area
- Is the front door clean?
- Does the doorbell work?
- Is the storm door in good condition?
- Is the front step or porch in good condition?
Tip #3: How does the interior look?
- Are the walls clean or do they look like they need a fresh
coat of paint?
- Consider removing any wallpaper that is not neutral and
limits decorating potential.
- Are there any nail holes in the walls?
- Should the ceiling be textured to cover any flaws?
- Are the switch plates clean?
Tip #4: Are the windows clean?
- Open your drapes and blinds before showings for lots of
- Make sure your window coverings are clean.
Tip #5: Your kitchen must be clean to get top dollar
- Make sure the interior of the oven, the stove top and the
dishwasher are stain free.
- Clear the cabinets of extra items and make sure the
interiors and exteriors are clean.
- Countertops should be clean and free of clutter - baking
soda is good for removing stains from the countertops.
Tip #6: The bathrooms are very important
- The shower doors, ceramic tile and grouting should be clean
and free of soap film.
- The fixtures should be polished and free of water marks.
- The toilet seat should be in good condition. If not, replace
- Make sure the exhaust fan is working property.
Tip #7: Make all of your rooms appear large
- Remove excess furniture from a room that appears cramped.
- Pick up newspapers, toys, and other articles prior to
- Make sure the stairway is clear.
Tip #8: Your closets should look roomy
- The closets should be neat and organized.
- Wall surfaces should be clean. Do they need paint?
- The shelving and hardware should be in good repair.
- Closet doors should operate smoothly and quietly.
Tip #9: All around the house
- Check the basement, garage and other areas for excess items.
- Eliminate damp smell in the basement or crawl space. A bag
of limestone should help.
- Brighten dark walls with a coat of paint.
- Make sure all of the light bulbs work.
- Window areas should be clean and the windows should operate
- Floor coverings should be clean and look new to get top
dollar. If your carpets are old, consider replacing them.
- Steps and handrails should be in good repair.
- If you have a sump pump, the pit should be clean and the
pump should be in good condition.
Tip #10: How about the major appliances
- The furnace filter should be clean.
- The exterior of the water heater, furnace and water softener
should be clean.
- All kitchen appliances should work properly.
- Does the garage door opener work properly? Is it quiet?
Tip #11. Minor flaws suggest that the property has been
neglected to the prospect
- Make sure the screen doors close tightly.
- If you have a storage shed, is it in good repair?
- Is the driveway in good condition?
- How about the gutters and downspouts? Are they in good shape?
- Has the roof reached the end of it's useful life?
- Are hardwood and vinyl floors in good shape.
Summary: Prior to Showing Your Home:
- Get rid of clutter on shelves, countertops and closets
- Put away excess furniture and items that are showing wear
- Rearrange remaining furniture attractively (your agent can help
you decide what's most effective)
- Paint walls that are dirty, peeling or chipped. Remember, a
few dollars worth of paint and spackle can bring big returns in
the selling price.
- Wash blinds, clean curtains and other window treatments
- Shampoo carpets; polish hardwood, linoleum, or tile floors, as
- Fix leaky faucets, toilets and appliances that don’t work
Remove accumulated junk from your basement and/or garage
Bonus Tip: While Your House is on the Market
- Keep the house clean – vacuum and dust daily, if
possible, do laundry before it piles up, put away the children's
- Make a list of things to do and places to go while agents show
the home to prospective buyers
- Display live plants and/or fresh flowers - the aroma and
fresh oxygen create a pleasant,
Bake cookies or a pie when you expect a lot of traffic - make
your home more inviting and cozy
For more information about how VIP Realty can help you sell a home in Central Indiana, call Tammy Bookout at (317) 345 -
8269 or toll-free at 888-VIP-0002 (888-847-0002), or send
Tammy an e-mail, or submit the Request for Information form